Saturday, April 14, 2007

Strange & Forbidden Fruits ? LGBTQ?

There are some black folks who disapprove of me using the Strange Fruit slang. They always ask me, "Do you know what strange fruit means?" and I always reply that yes, I do know what it meant and stood for in a song sung by Miss Billie Holliday but however in this day and age I changed it's meaning to "unusual black/Latino LGBTQ happenings" and it's my poetic license as a writer/creator/filmmaker/director. But it is strange to me how people don't like to change. I welcome change because it's the spice of life. Working 9-5 five days a week and sitting in front of a tv set after work then doing chores on Saturday and then sitting in front of a tv the rest of the day/or go to a movie and on Sunday you either stay in bed late/go to church and then spend the rest of the day in front of a TV set; is a death sentance to me. I need to be out there exploring life in all its forms be it straight or gay. That can be forbidden for a lot of people. I remember the 70's, it wasn't unusaual to go to a straight bar and pick up a straight guy who was horny and wanted to experience a blow job from a gay man and vice versa, it wasn't unusual for a gay man who was horny to go to a straight bar and pick up a woman and want to experience a blow job from her! I've done it that's why I'm strange & forbidden fruit!

No comments: